Many people do not know how psoriasis begins, because the disease is not among the most common. However, the incidence of psoriasis is increasing every year.
With timely access to a doctor, you can take action quickly, because it is always easier to overcome the disease at an early stage.
Early onset, or onset of psoriasis
The initial phase of the disease is not specific. The rash is a traditional symptom. It has several features that will help distinguish the early symptoms of psoriasis from other skin conditions:
- Small -sized rash. The onset of the disease is accompanied by the formation of small pathological elements. Its size rarely exceeds 3 mm.
- Round shape. With the development of psoriasis, the plaque maintains its proper shape.
- Pink or red rash.
- Itching. The onset of psoriasis is not always accompanied by these symptoms. It manifests itself in only half of all clinical cases. Whether itching at an early stage depends on the individual characteristics of the organism.
- Peeling. It occurs relatively rarely in the early stages of the disease. Often joins the developmental phase of psoriasis.
The small plaque is covered with silvery scales. Hence the second name of this disease - "scaly lichen". The appearance of pathological elements is often associated with some kind of strong experience or skin infection.
Classic symptom triad
In addition to the signs of psoriasis shown, its early stages, like others, are accompanied by a mandatory triad of symptoms. They distinguish psoriasis from a number of other dermatoses. The following manifestations remain characteristic of scaly lichen:
- Stearin stain phenomenon. After removing the scales, a kind of stain appears underneath, which resembles paraffin or stearin.
- The "terminal film" phenomenon. By scraping the plaque content further, a shiny surface appears. It resembles polyethylene. This is the last element removed from the skin.
- Blood dew phenomenon. With further combing of the film without scales, many droplets of blood appeared. They multiply, merging due to damage to micro vessels located in the affected area. Crying capillary bleeding occurred, which immediately stopped.
Thanks to these symptoms, doctors know how to recognize psoriasis at an early stage. The main thing is to remember that scraping is done with a scalpel or blunt microscope. You can't do this with your nails.
More often the disease develops smoothly. The first plaque appears. They may not cause discomfort to the patient.
In this case, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible to stop the process.
Initial psoriasis, indicated by special plaques, is accompanied by positive Koebner symptoms. It consists in the formation of new skin elements during mechanical irritation on healthy skin areas. Also, this phenomenon manifests itself in the form of the development of new elements of the rash at the site of skin injury - scratches, bruises.
Factors that provoke psoriasis in the body:
- genetic predisposition;
- chronic stress;
- taking medication;
- transfers purulent skin diseases (pyoderma, furunculosis) to the skin;
- bad habits;
- endocrine pathology;
- poor environmental conditions and unhealthy diet.
When the first manifestations of psoriasis occur, you should immediately seek the help of a dermatologist. Otherwise, the disease will only continue.
Early symptoms in different places
Traditionally, this disease first occurs on the extensor surface of the knee and elbow joints. This is a favorite spot for dermatosis. First, small pathological areas are formed that rise slightly above the level of the skin. They evolve over time. Psoriasis appears more often after severe stress or an infectious disease.
Psoriasis and its early stages, which are localized on the extensor surface of the joint, are often accompanied by redness in pathologically altered skin areas. This is due to the constant rubbing of plaque on the clothes.
Face and neck
The early stages of psoriasis, symptoms that arise on the face and neck, have a number of characteristics:
- Limited pathological elements. They are small, rarely merging with each other.
- Special localization around the eyes, on the earlobes, in the nasolabial folds, eyebrows.
- Probably completely not itchy.
The rash looks like a small papule with all the characteristic features of psoriasis (silvery scales and triangular phenomena).
Hairy part of the head
Typical early plaques often appear on the scalp, along the hairline. A certain reddish rim, covered with scales, is formed. It’s called the “psoriatic crown”.
An additional feature of scalp psoriasis is sebaceous gland dysfunction. Scalp psoriasis develops like seborrhea. Dandruff is present and does not respond well to conventional treatments.
Body and back
A characteristic feature of skin psoriasis on the back and body is the manifestation of rare symptoms in this area at a normal rate of disease progression. The appearance of new pathological elements in the abdomen or under the shoulder blades often indicates a generalization of the process.
The first stage of dermatosis often develops elsewhere. A tear -shaped purple element appears on the back and body.
Breasts and nipples
The first signs of the development of psoriasis are like normal plaques in the areola. They are accompanied by itching, peeling, and covered with scales. Additional symptoms are the occurrence of cracks and injuries.
This often happens to breastfeeding mothers. Secondary infections are accompanied by the development of symptoms (pain, swelling, redness, increased local body temperature).
This situation is fraught with acute mastitis, so immediate consultation with a surgeon is required.
Palms and soles
The early stages of psoriasis are accompanied by violation of the epidermis in the event of localization on the palms and soles of the feet. The skin becomes tough. Susceptible to physical injury. Bacterial and fungal infections are common.
Symptoms of nail psoriasis appear as onychodystrophy. Damage to the nail plate occurs. Early signs of the disease:
- thickening or thinning of the nail plate;
- the appearance of transverse or longitudinal lines on its surface;
- changes in nail color and consistency. It can collapse. The worst -case scenario is onycholysis with complete plate release.
The symptoms of the onset of psoriatic eruptions vary. It is important to be able to get to know them in a timely manner and seek help from a dermatologist. He will take treatment. Early visits to the doctor often lead to early stabilization of the condition.
Psoriasis in children
Many people are interested in how psoriasis manifests itself in children. This resembles the clinical picture in adults, but has a number of features:
- Plaques are more likely to occur on unfamiliar websites. These can be skin folds, mucous membranes of the mouth, genitals.
- Persistent itching. In children, the rash is accompanied by severe discomfort, which often interferes with sleep.
- Red color and pronounced plaque scale.
If special papules appear on your child's skin, you must see a doctor immediately. Early psoriasis in infants is easily confused with allergies and atopic dermatitis. It is strictly forbidden to start treatment without consulting a doctor.
A separate form of the disease remains psoriatic arthritis, or arthropathy. It is accompanied by the involvement of connective tissues and joints in the pathological process. In the early stages of the disease, this is very rare, but sometimes exceptions occur.
Early signs of early arthritis:
- joint pain and discomfort, morning and early pain;
- redness and swelling of soft tissues;
- limits range of motion;
- violation of function;
In the early stages, psoriatic arthritis should be distinguished from rheumatoid, reactive and gouty variants of joint damage. For this, additional diagnostic procedures are performed-ultrasound, X-rays, MRI, sometimes even puncture.
Severity of disease
The early stages of psoriasis are usually mild. Symptoms are minimal. One may not complain at all, only the eyes are attracted to incomprehensible elements on the skin, and psychological discomfort arises.
In rare exceptions, the pathology develops rapidly, with a clear clinical picture. Depending on the severity, the following levels of skin lesions are distinguished:
- Easy. Less than 3% of body cover is involved in the pathological process.
- Simple. 3-10% of skin is affected.
- Weight. Plaques simultaneously appear in more than 10% of the skin area. The most severe form is psoriatic erythroderma, in which large areas of skin are affected.
Depending on the severity of the disease, the approach to therapy will be different.
The early stages of psoriasis, which are often overlooked by patients, are the best time to start therapy. As soon as the first symptoms appear, you should immediately see a doctor.
Rapid diagnosis and selection of therapy will help stop the progression of psoriasis even in the first stage of the rash.
It is not possible to completely eliminate the pathology. Psoriasis is one of the diseases that is not fatal, but cannot be cured. However, if you deal with it from the beginning, then the symptoms will slow down and not change one’s lifestyle. With successful treatment, continuous long -term remission with complete skin cleansing is possible.
In the early stages, psoriasis is best treated with topical medications. They reduce side effects and complications and are easy to use.
The following groups of drugs are most commonly used in medical practice:
- Hormone ointment. The active component is glucocorticoids. They have a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect and reduce the activity of pathological processes.
- Retinoids for external use. Affects the maturation, division and rejection of keratinocytes. Improves skin condition.
- Drugs based on vitamin D. Increases the effectiveness of drugs from the previous group. Can be used independently. They stabilize the metabolism of the skin, prevent exfoliation and the formation of new pathological elements.
- Extra ointment. They are created on the basis of salicylic acid, zinc, sulfur. They specifically do not improve the condition of the skin - moisturize or dry (depending on its needs), clean the skin from scales.
In the early stages, folk recipes were acceptable. These are ointments made from tar, naphthalene, decoctions and lotions from medicinal ingredients or baths with sea salt.
Before treating psoriasis, it is very important to pay attention to the fact that at the beginning of the disease, adherence to the rules of a healthy lifestyle, normalization of weight and rejection of bad habits is mandatory will help get rid of skin rashes. Sometimes compliance with only these moderate and reasonable conditions leads to the fact that the disease subsides and never returns.